Friday, June 17, 2011

Adventures in Potty Training....

Oh potty training.

It kind of sucks.
Right now we are only on our 2nd week of pt.  My son is doing fairly well for only being at it for 2 weeks.  I'm proud of him!

I do wish, however, we could speed up the process of getting to use the potty all the time, every time.  I know it will take time, lots of time, to get to that point. But boy will I ever be happy when we do get to that point!

Anyhow.. potty training sure can teach you a lot of stuff though! 

1- Patience!!  Gooooodness.... have you ever sat in a bathroom waiting for a kid to do his business? That can be quite a lengthy process... At least it's quality time, right?  We've done everything from singing songs, looking at books, and sort of playing with cars/trains/superheroes.

2- Another thing is that I realize I have watched too many episodes of Dora the Explorer and Diego.  I know pretty much all of the words to their theme songs. Oh, and Mickey Mouse Club House, Chuggington, Bubble Guppies, and Little Einsteins.   Right now the most favorite song to sing is the Little Einsteins theme song.  I'll admit- my son is mildly obsessed with them. Hey, at least they're teaching him about musical instruments and styles of music and different kids of animals and art!  ;)

3-  Where ever we go, I must know where the potty in that store is! We've successfully made it to a few stores and have used their restrooms! Knowing where the restroom is located has now become my top priority upon entering a store.

4- Not all little training potties will work for your kid! We have one that is Cars themed. It is way too small for my child. Tried using it once. Never went back to it. Also- those potty cover things- those don't work for us either. Again, they're too small.

5- Sticker charts work! (for going #1 at least)  We had a sticker chart that came with a book that had enough space for you to put 40 stickers. we used up every single space within a week. I had to make a new one.  I'm hoping the sticker chart will help for #2 as well... I'm trying to entice him with Thomas the Train stickers.... so far, not going so well....(side note::: Any of you moms, or anyone who has gone through potty training a child have any tips for getting them to go #2 in the potty and not their underwear? Thanks!)
 
So these are my potty stories/tips so far.... and to leave you with one more...
Tonight my son runs to the bathroom. I hear a splashing sound and run in after him. Poor little guy is trying to stand up to go #1. He's only 2 1/2. He's not tall enough to stand to use the potty yet. Needless to say the floor got wet, but hey- at least he was trying to do it by himself!

I'm proud of my little guy! We'll keep working towards total potty training completion! Hopefully it won't take forever :)  I know he'll eventually get it. We all got it, right?  ;)

1 comment:

  1. *Giggling*

    Thank you for the tips!

    I'm in the beginning phases of potty training our 15 m/o. When he began telling us that he needed to "pop" (which is hilarious!), my husband's coworked said we needed to being pt. We bought an Elmo potty and put it in his bathroom. It's going to be interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete